We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.
- Libraries, archives, museum and culture
Children and teenagers library
Our libraries contain well stocked children’s sections and teen zones and run fantastic events and activities for children and teenagers.
Once you have applied, go to any of our library branches with your confirmation number and ID to activate your membership. You can also join in person at any of our library branches.
Activities and services
To find out dates, times, venues and contact details for our activities visit what’s on in Hackney libraries.
For under 5s
- storytime sessions
- baby rhyme times
- free Bookstart packs for under 4s. You can collect your pack from any Hackney library
- weekly toy libraries
If you can’t attend a session with your little one, you can borrow board books, picture books, dual language books, music, nursery rhymes and children films.
For 5-12 year olds
- our libraries run Chatterbooks reading groups for 8-12 year olds, where the children discuss books, play games and more
- board games clubs
- events programmes for the school holidays (such as our summer activities programme)
- the national summer reading challenge for 8-12 year olds
- arts awards discovery for 5-15 year olds
- creative writing sessions
- film clubs at Homerton and Dalston CLR James libraries
For help with school work or to find out more about hobbies and interests, there are plenty of books on every subject.
- teen zones for revision, free use of the computers, free Wi-Fi or just to chill out
- free access to online information resources from home or at the library
- teenage reading groups
- work experience placements
- volunteering opportunities at all libraries at times that suits you
- Hackney Reading Hack – join to help set-up and run reading and writing hubs, events and activities for other young people. The steering groups meet every month at Clapton, Hackney Central and Dalston CLR James Libraries
We also stock the latest teenage best sellers and graphic novels alongside magazines, newspapers and curriculum support for GCSE, AS and A2 levels.
For teachers, schools and nurseries
School and nursery groups are welcome in our libraries.
Younger pupils can enjoy story telling sessions while older children learn how to get the most from the technology and online resources on offer. Contact your local library to arrange a class visit and find out more about how libraries can help your class to study and learn.
A teacher membership entitles you to borrow up to 26 items.
Book a computer
You need your library card number and PIN to access the booking system. If you need a new library card or have forgotten your PIN, visit one of our libraries.
You can also book by phone or in person, by using the booking kiosk in the library.
How long can I use a computer for?
Adult: 1 hour, child: 30 minutes. Additional time is available on request.
New to computers and the internet?
Basic familiarisation sessions are available. Advance booking is required, please ask staff.
What is the cost for printing and scanning?
Black and white: 10p, colour: 50p.