Raise a concern about an adult
People have the right to live free from harm from others.
- in an emergency call 999
- for non-emergency crimes call 101
If you are concerned about someone or if you are experiencing harm
- for people in Hackney – call 020 8356 5782 or email email@example.com
- for people in the City – call 020 7332 1224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
See below for contact details for other types of harm.
Who does this apply to?
People who have care needs and need support to keep safe
People with care needs are more vulnerable to coming to harm and being harmed because they have some level of dependency on others.
We call harm ‘abuse’. What is abuse?
Abuse can be physical, financial, sexual, neglect, psychological – most things that make people feel afraid or that they don’t want to happen to them and they cannot stop from happening without some help
What happens when you or someone tells us you are being harmed?
We follow a process to support you to protect yourself. We ask you what you would like to happen and we work with you to make to feel safe. We call this the ‘safeguarding adults’ process.
If you need support while going through this process we will appoint someone to help you. They are called ‘advocates’.
Mental capacity assessment
Sometimes it may appear that a person can’t make a decision about their safety, then a mental capacity assessment must be carried out before a decision is made. If the person is found unable to make the decision, a best interests process should be followed.
Lasting power of attorney
You can give the power to make decisions for you when you are unable to make decisions to someone else. This is called a lasting power of attorney. If you have given power to someone else to make the decision for you through a lasting power of attorney, they will make the decision about your safety but they must act in your best interests
Find out more about lasting power of attorney.
What can you do if you are not happy with what we are doing?
You can make a complaint.
You can submit your feedback.
You can also tel 020 7332 3498 or email AScomplaints@cityoflondon.gov.uk.
Contact the Board
You can contact the City and Hackney Safeguarding Adults Board if you are not happy with how services are doing to protect people who have care needs.
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Service: 08000560905, and 020 8356 4458/9, email@example.com
- Antisocial behaviour: 0208 356 3310, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community safety: 0208 356 3000, email@example.com
- Hate crime and harassment support: Stop Hate UK 0800 138 1625
- Community safety: 020 7332 3808, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Service (Victim Support): area number 0808 168 9291 / supportline: 0808 168 9111
- Adult Social Care