A message to our arts and cultural institutions, venues and organisations
We working closely with the HM Government, Public Health England and the NHS to play its part in slowing the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the borough and ensuring those who need support get it. We continue to closely monitor the latest public health advice, but it’s clear that for the next few weeks and months many planned activities will be disrupted and cultural activity restricted across the borough.
In light of the unfolding coronavirus news, we are working to keep in touch with our cultural organisations. We understand there are many concerns about the future and we want to make sure that we provide the most up-to-date information and advice.
If you are an arts or cultural organisation you can submit your activity for us to promote on one of our social media platforms:
For more information
Below are some useful links through which you can register for updates.
- see the £160m emergency measures and funding being offered by Arts Council England for arts and cultural organisations and artists
- for information on the forthcoming Government support package for businesses of grants, loans allocations and business rates exemptions, visit our business support and advice page or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- join the Hackney Business Network if you aren’t already a member. Here you will find the latest local business news, guidance, support for business in Hackney. The latest advice on grants and business rates will also appear on the Council and Invest in Hackney websites when available
- visit Gov.uk for the official COVID-19: guidance for employees, employers and businesses
- sign up to the Council’s daily email update or visit our dedicated coronavirus page, which will be updated regularly
- tell us about the impact that coronavirus is having on your business by filling out our Hackney Business Network monitoring form. We will use it to better understand your individual business pressures and the wider economic impact on Hackney. Your feedback will help shape how we can help
- if you would like to get in touch with the Cultural Development Team for advice or guidance, email: email@example.com
We work with many different organisations and people within the local cultural and creative industries producing art, drama, music, dance, film, literature, media, architecture and heritage.
Shoreditch and Hoxton Arts Fund
We’ve set up a £300,000 fund to commission community arts projects that bring residents, businesses, and visitors to Shoreditch and Hoxton together.
It’s made up of a planning levy we placed on new developments in the area – called Section 106 contributions.
We’re aiming to fund projects in the Hoxton East and Shoreditch ward until 2022, and projects must be match funded through cash or resources, based around high quality physical or digital events or performances, and be co-created with the community.
- winners of the first round (which launched in summer 2019)
Find out about this year’s event and how to get involved:
There are free events and activities in Dalston Square all year round.
Discover Young Hackney
Discover Young Hackney gets Hackney’s young people involved in showcasing, producing, promoting and training in the local arts and creative industries.
Find information on current events and activities including festivals, carnivals and fairs and publicise your own events with the What’s On calendar.
Creative Hackney – cultural policy framework
Our arts and cultural strategy 2019-2022 [pdf, 5.69MB] sets out the framework within which cultural activities and the cultural and creative industries contribute to the wider social and economic drivers within Hackney.
It sets the context for the strategic development of the sector in line with overall development priorities of the council but also demonstrates where culture can add value and provide fresh and creative approaches.