We’re currently introducing a new design and are making sure everything works.

Property licensing

We’re committed to making renting in Hackney fairer – which means working with landlords to create a more professional rented sector, and tackling those who mistreat or fail to provide a good, safe home to their tenants.

To help achieve this, we’ve expanded property licensing across thousands of homes in Hackney so that more landlords will have to hold a licence before they can let out their homes. These licences require landlords to keep their homes in good condition and ensure high standards of management, or risk enforcement from the Council.


Do I need a licence?

You will need to hold a licence if you own and let out:

What are the requirements of holding a licence?

By holding a licence, you will need to comply with the ‘licensing conditions’ which will ensure the home you let out is properly managed and meets acceptable standards:.

What if I don’t hold a licence or don’t comply with the licensing conditions?

If you don’t comply with the conditions of your licence, or don’t hold the correct licence for a home you are renting out, you will face enforcement from the Council. This could include a financial penalty notice of up to £30,000 or an unlimited fine from the court.

How much does a licence cost?

The licence fees are outlined on this page. They cover up to a 5 year period from the date the licence is issued.

Landlords who have demonstrated that they are able to professionally manage homes through a recognised accreditation scheme like the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme will receive a discount of £75.

Type of licence Description Fee Reduced fee accredited landlords
Mandatory This applies to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) occupied by five or more people, making up two or more households £950 £875
Additional This applies to all privately rented properties occupied by three or four people making up two or more households, regardless of the number of storeys in the property £950 £875
Selective This applies to all privately rented properties occupied by a single person, two people or single household in the Brownswood, Cazenove and Stoke Newington wards £500 £425

These fees cover the cost of managing the licensing schemes, including the setup, running and compliance monitoring, and do not make a profit for the Council. We don’t use them to fund legal enforcement work against non-complying landlords.

How do I apply?

To apply for a licence, complete the online application form:


What do I need to apply?

Before you submit your application you will need:

  • room sizes (square metres) and property facilities
  • details about the property structure and safety equipment
  • name and addresses of persons and organisations with an interest in the property
  • payment card details
  • licence holder date of birth
  • sketch plan of the layout of each floor
  • electrical installation condition report (EICR)
  • gas safety certificate, from a registered gas safe engineer
  • BS test report for any fire alarm system (HMOs only)
  • BS test report for any emergency lighting system (HMOs only)
  • landlord accreditation scheme certificate (if you are accredited)
  • copies of tenancy agreements

What if I am based outside the UK?

We prefer licence holders to be resident in the UK, and will only accept applications for licences from non-UK residents if they have a UK-based managing agent who contractually agrees to be bound by the conditions and obligations imposed by the licence, and signs a declaration to confirm this.

Applications from limited companies will only be accepted from companies with a UK registered office, and the licence will be in the company name.

Where can I find out more?

Resources for landlords

Page updated on: 2 July 2019

Property licensing


2 Hillman Street
E8 1FB


Opening times

  • Mon to Fri, 9am - 4pm