We are following the government’s advice to local authorities on property inspections to protect the health and safety of landlords and private renters.
We’ve temporarily suspended routine licensing inspections until the restrictions are lifted. Lower risk properties may receive a licence without a compliance inspection – the property will be inspected when the restrictions are lifted.
If you supply inaccurate information about the property or its occupants, the licence may have to be varied – this could include altering the number of occupants allowed once we’ve measured the rooms.
Licences for higher risk properties will not receive a licence until we can inspect them. However, landlords should submit full licence applications where necessary, to comply with legal requirements.
You need a property licence if you own and let out a property that:
- meets the definition of being a house in multiple occupation (HMO) anywhere in Hackney
- is a privately rented property located in Brownswood, Cazenove or Stoke Newington wards – find out which ward you’re in
On this page:
There are 3 types of licence: mandatory and additional (for HMOs), selective for privately rented properties in the above 3 wards.
You’ll need certain documents/information to hand to make an application.
Essential information you need to provide
- details about the property structure and safety equipment
- name and addresses of persons and organisations with an interest in the property
- licence holder date of birth
- payment card details (for payment of fee)
- gas safety certificate, from a registered gas safe engineer (if there is gas supply to the property)
How do I apply?
To apply for a licence, complete the online application form:
If you have a particular difficulty applying online, call 020 8356 4866 or email email@example.com.
Resources for landlords
- private rented property licensing accommodation standards
- guidance for landlords on housing health and safety
- LACORS fire safety guidance
- electrical installation condition reports
- guidance on room sizes