St Mary’s Church of England Primary School consultation
The consultation closes on 28 July 2019.
William Patten Primary School consultation
School streets is our pioneering scheme to transform roads outside schools, so that only pedestrians and cyclists can use them at school start and finish times.
The streets tackle congestion and improve air quality at the school gates, making it easier and safer to walk and cycle to school.
They create a more pleasant environment for everyone, while making sure residents, businesses, pedestrians and cyclists can still use the road.
School streets in Hackney video
Hear from parents and Heads about the results at their school and about how Hackney is sharing its experience with other local authorities.
How it works
The streets around a school temporarily become pedestrian and cycles only at set times in the morning and afternoon. Vehicles are not permitted to enter the street between these times unless they have been granted an exemption.
You can register for an exemption if you’re a resident living or working in a school street zone, a business in a school street zone, or a blue badge holder.
Signs inform drivers of the restrictions before the entrance to the closed street. Non-registered vehicles entering the street during the times of operation will be identified by camera and issued a fixed penalty notice.
We’ve piloted school street zones around 5 primary schools, with 3 made permanent so far:
- zone 1 (SS1) – St John the Baptist School, Crondall Street, N1 6JG – launched 26 June 2017 and made permanent on 3 December 2018
- zone 2 (SS2) – Gayhurst Community School, Gayhurst Road, E8 3EN – launched on Monday 29 January 2018
- zone 3 (SS3) – Millfields Community School, Hilsea Street, E5 0SH – launched on Thursday 1 February 2018
- zone 4 (SS4) – Tyssen Community School, Oldhill Street, N16 6LR – launched on Tuesday 6 March 2018
- zone 5 (SS5) – London Fields Primary School, Westgate Street, E8 3RL – launched 6 June 2018
School streets 4-5 (SS4-5) are currently being evaluated. The reports will be published here.
Next phase school streets
- zone 6 (SS6) Southwold Primary School, Detmold Road, E5 9NL – launched on Tuesday 4 June 2019
- zone 7 (SS7) Sebright Primary School and City of London Academy Shoreditch Park, Audrey Street, E2 8QH – launched on Monday 20 may 2019